With the weather becoming increasingly warmer in the coming months, it is only natural that many of us adults will expect to have disturbed and uncomfortable nights. This is true with babies also. The combination of a restless baby and a restless parent is not great!
- Use 100% organic cotton bed sheets which helps baby keep cool and allows for a better night’s sleep.
- Take off the plastic waterproof sheet which can become warm and sticky in hot evenings and will cause discomfort.
- Use a black out blind to stop strong rays of light from disturbing baby.
- Keep curtains closed during very hot days to avoid the bedroom over heating with direct sunlight.
- Keep the room well ventilated.
- Keep a fan pointing away from baby’s body and use on very warm days only.
- Use a room thermometer to check on temperature in the room.
- Give baby a slightly cooler bath before bed time.
- Use a sleep aid such as Jaspar the Dreamy Elephant to comfort and soothe baby to sleep. For example, utilise the soothing red light and the comforting white/pink noise recordings which will all help baby relax and fall into a deep sleep.
- Dress baby in 100% organic cotton and avoid polyester and man made fibres.
It is important to note however that although the above is great and will most certainly help both the baby and parents, it is still advisable to check on baby a few more times during the night than normal. The reason being that temperatures in the UK are known to be erratic and can drop hugely and therefore a blanket may need to be given to baby or a fan switched
off etc. Babies will naturally feel more thirsty during the hotter days and so please expect to feed baby more.
Enjoy your summer, enjoy more comfortable sleeps for both you and baby and make sure you all get plenty of vitamin D by sitting out in the sun during the day for short periods of time (with high sun factor cream applied of course!!).